Saturday, July 14, 2007

sweet treats...


I have been eagerly watching the developments of the garden, especially the zucchini. We have three kinds appearing: standard dark green, yellow, and a pale green variety that I've never seen before. There are so many things I love to make with zucchini, but here featured is a little something yummy, but with plenty of goodness in it too.

Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
3/4 cup butter
1 3/4 cup brown sugar
3 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk (or, in a pinch, mix some sour cream with some milk)
2 cups grated zucchini
2 tsp vanilla

Beat together butter and sugar; slowly add other wet ingredients. Then add:
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves or nutmeg
a generous sprinkling of chocolate chips

Mix until blended. You can make muffins or bake in a loaf pan - I actually made six muffins and a medium loaf. Scoop into muffin tins until they are 3/4 full. Bake at 350 degrees F - I baked the muffins for about 15 min and the loaf for about 35 - bake until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool on a rack. While cooling, add a little extra zing by putting chocolate chips on top - I usually use about 12 choc chips on each muffin (I have memories of my mother getting me to count out neat piles as a child), and a bunch on a loaf. Wait till the chocolate chips are softened, then use a knife to spread smoothly over the top.

YUMMMMMMMMMM.

ps - the lovely quilted potholders in the photo were made for me by my (also) crafty sister.

No comments: